Sunday, 14 June 2015

SYRIA

Officially the Syrian Arab Republic, is a country in Western AsiaDe jure Syrian territory borders Lebanon and the Mediterranean Sea to the west, Turkey to the north, Iraq to the east, Jordan to the south, and Israel to the southwest, but the government's control now extends to approximately 30–40% of the de jure state area and less than 60% of the population. Its capital Damascus is among the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. The name Syria is derived from the 8th century BC Luwian term "Sura/i", and the derivative ancient Greek name:ΣύριοιSýrioi, or ΣύροιSýroi, both of which originally derived from Aššūrāyu (Assyria) in northern Mesopotamia.

I received this beautiful envelope from Syria , sent by my good friend Binod, who is working for UN. Last time he had sent 3 identical Registered mails and some thematic stamps, this time i prepared covers myself and handed over to him to post when he reach there. Now the situation worsen than before, so no registered mail services to India. So he sent as normal mail, luckily it reached in my hands without loss. Because of increasing trouble in the country, I am afraid that The postal system may fallen as Yemen.The cover posted on April 04, 2016 and I received in my hands on May 10, 2016. Thank You Bindo for the perfect cover.

I got three similar registered cover from Syria on June 09, 2015 sent by my good friend Binod Shreshta who work for UN. The letter posted on May 25, 2015. I feel really lucky because Syrian Postal Service providing limited service because of political unrest in the country. My friend traveled to the capital city to send Registered Letter to reach in my hand safely. He had a limited time , so he could not arrange the stamps as I usually do on the cover. Still it is a gem in my collection. Thank You very much Binod for the effort to send  the covers to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment